The Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) issued a Funding Opportunity Announcement on behalf of the Vehicle Technologies Office.
Concept Paper Deadline: June 26, 2023
The Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE), on behalf of the Department of Energy’s (DOE) Vehicles Technologies Office (VTO), recently announced its 2023 program-wide funding opportunity, totaling $99.5 million.
The 2023 program-wide funding opportunity will support projects that reduce soft costs to improve EV charging infrastructure in underserved communities, provide consumer education on EVs and EV charging, and develop batteries that use low-cost, abundant materials. Specific project proposal topics included in this funding opportunity are below.
Topic areas of interest include:
- Batteries and Electrification
- Topic 1a: High-Capacity, Long Cycle Life Lithium-Sulfur (Li-S) Batteries
- Topic 1b: Mechanistic Modeling of Li-S Batteries
- Topic 2: Improved 12-volt Lead Acid Batteries for Safety-critical Electric Vehicle Applications
- Topic 3: Advanced Integrated On-board Charging System
- Topic 4: Advanced Wireless charging Concepts for Heavy-Duty Vehicles
- Combustion and Advanced Fuels
- Topic 5: Development and Demonstration of Dimenthyl Ether Engine for Off-Road Applications
- Topic 6: Hydrogen Combustion Engines
- Lightweight Materials
- Topic 7: Circularity and Sustainability of Polymer Composites for Vehicle Lightweighting and Decarbonization
- Topic 8: Domestic Magnesium Production Research
- Topic 9: Novel Lightweight Materials
- Energy Efficient Mobility Systems
- Topic 10: Mobility System Approaches Supporting Public Transportation
- Technology Integration
- Topic 11: Reducing Soft Costs of Electric Vehicle Infrastructure to Enable Widespread Deployment
- Topic 12: Consumer Education Campaign for Electric Vehicles and Charging
- Topic 13: Demonstration and Deployment – Open Topic
- Topic 14: Clean Cities Coalition Network Outreach, Education, and Training
Applicants must submit a concept paper by June 26, 2023, at 4:00 pm Central Time. Only applicants who have submitted an eligible concept paper will be eligible to submit a full application. The submission due date for full applications is August 11, 2023, at 4:00 pm Central Time.
To learn more, visit the VTO Program Wide Funding Opportunity Announcement webpage.
We welcome opportunities to discuss your ideas and partner on a project, especially for topics 10-14 listed above. Please contact Minnesota Clean Cities Coalition Director Lisa Thurstin (firstname.lastname@example.org) with proposal ideas and questions.