Supporting Clean Air Choices for Minnesotans
The Minnesota Clean Cities Coalition (MC3) aims to reduce the impact of fuel and vehicle emissions on our community’s environment and health.
Designated May 31, 2001, and renewed September 2007, by the U.S. Department of Energy, the roots of MC3 and Minnesota’s alternative fuels movement date back to the oil shocks of the 1970s. Minnesota Clean Cities is coordinated by the American Lung Association in Minnesota’s Clean Air program. The program has support from fuel and equipment providers, fleet managers, technical experts, non-profit organizations and automakers, as well as private citizens.
MC3 helps industry partners raise awareness of Clean Air Choice® fuels among consumers and fleet operators. Utilizing ethanol, biodiesel, electricity, and other cleaner fuels is an essential step to improve air quality, cut carbon emissions, support economic development, and curb dependence on overseas oil imports.
Annual Report Request – Showcasing Minnesota Work
Have you submitted your fleet story yet? Each year, as part of the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Clean Cities program, the Minnesota Clean Cities Coalition asks our program partners to provide a snapshot and data regarding alternative fuels, advanced vehicle technologies, and related petroleum reduction strategies. In our last report Minnesota received the following accolades over 75 other coalitions:
- 2nd greatest % improvement – fuel or technology
- 3rd greatest energy use impact – fuel or technology
- 3rd most infrastructure builds
- 8th most outreach events
DOE combines the accomplishments of all coalitions nationwide and uses the information to create an annual report on the measurable activities and progress made toward reducing our dependence on foreign petroleum.
The latest Clean Cities Coalitions Annual report was recently published, and key findings include:
- Coalitions achieved an energy use impact of nearly 1 billion gasoline gallon equivalents in 2021, with the highest impacts coming from Alternative Fuel Vehicles.
- Coalitions averted nearly 5 million tons of greenhouse gas emissions in 2021- the equivalent of removing over 1.4 million conventional cars from the road.
- Coalitions engaged nearly 20,000 stakeholders in 2021, with 35% of them from the private sector.
Please consider providing your data and showcasing Minnesota’s success by completing this form and returning it to Minnesota Clean Cities director Lisa Thurstin at email@example.com by March 31, 2023.
Minnesota Is a National Leader in Clean,
Minnesota is a longtime leader in clean fuels. Our state was the first to blend ethanol in almost all gasoline and today is a national leader in the number of retail stations offering drivers more choices of higher ethanol blends. Since 2018, all diesel fuel sold in Minnesota from April 15 to September 30 each year contains a B20 biodiesel blend to reduce emissions from diesel vehicles. Electric vehicles are also becoming more widespread, as is the charging infrastructure that supports their travel statewide. As more Minnesotans adopt these Clean Air Choice fuels, we can look forward to cleaner air and a healthier environment for all.
Why join MC3?
By joining MC3, you’ll support cleaner alternatives to traditional gasoline and diesel fuel. MC3 members have access to resources to help evaluate and adopt Clean Air Choice® fuel options for their vehicles or fleets. Our organization provides networking opportunities, educational events, workshops and other resources that make a difference in the quality of life in Minnesota.
• Acme Carb
• Allina Health Systems
• American Lung Association
• Austin Utilities
• Boyer Ford
• Carburetion & Turbo Systems, Inc.
• CenterPoint Energy
• Chart Inc
• CHS Inc.
• City of Brooklyn Park
• City of Duluth
• City of Minneapolis
• City of Oakdale
• City of Saint Cloud
• City of Saint Paul
• Clean N’ Green Fuel
• Clipper Creek
• Como Oil & Propane
• Dakota County
• Dakota Electric
• Eastern Carver School District
• Eden Prairie Nissan
• Electric Auto Association
• Element Financial Corporation
• Elk River Municipal Utilities
• Environmental Initiative
• Eureka Recycling
• Fresh Energy
• G&K Services
• Galactic Pizza
• General Motors
• GS Motors
• Hennepin County
• Holiday Companies
• Kline Nissan
• Kwik Trip
• Lakes Gas Company
• MEG Corp
• Merit Chevrolet
• Metro Transit
• Metropolitan Council
• Minnesota Biofuels Association
• Minnesota Department of Administration – Travel Management
• Minnesota Department of Agriculture
• Minnesota Department of Commerce – Division of Energy Resources
• Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
• Minnesota Department of Transportation
• Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
• Minnesota Power
• Minnesota Propane Association
• Minnesota Soybean Growers Association
• Minnesota Valley Transit Authority
• Mississippi National River and Recreation Area
• Missouri River Energy Services
• New Flyer Industries
• Orange EV
• Otter Tail Power Company
• Propane Education & Research Council (PERC)
• Ramsey County
• Roseville Chevrolet
• Schwan’s Company
• U.S. Department of Energy National Clean Cities
• U.S. General Services Administration
• United Soybean Board
• University of Minnesota
• USPS Northland District
• Waste Management
• Werner Electric
• White Bear Mitsubishi
• ZEF Energy
Find Alternative Fuel Locations Near You
Minnesota laws and incentives for alternative fuels and advanced vehicles
Minnesota Utilities EV Program List
Unleaded 88 (E15) & E85 in Minnesota
Xcel Energy EV Charging Program
Electric vehicles available in Minnesota